The glass door of our mailbox fell off and shattered spectacularly last week. I decided to fix it by building a new door out of acrylic on Betty, my Epilog laser cutter.
I began by measuring the space and drafting it in Rhino. I created a closed polyline curve for vector cutting of the shape, and a solid text hatch for raster etching the word “LETTERS”. I then sent this file to print on the laster cutter.
For some reason the only piece I had big enough (roughly 14″x8″) was the blue acrylic I used for my Arduino Grande project. So we’ll be the people with a blue mailbox door and an orange house door. Subtle.
I donned my air filtration mask, as the fumes that come from laser cutting acrylic smell like saccharine death fumes from the planet Huffbag.
I ran two jobs for simplicity, first to cut, then to etch. (It’s not too hard to create a vector cut pass and a raster etch pass in one go, but I didn’t bother.)
I fit it into the formerly faceless mailbox and it looks pretty good. Next up, I need to hinge it into the base and create a latch for pulling it open.