J. Edgar Park’s Aromatic Bitters No. 1
Make your own bitters to invigorate your beverages.
- 375ml of 151 proof grain alcohol
- 375ml of 100 proof bourbon
- zest of one lemon, peeled with a vegetable peeler
- 1/4 tsp. quinine extract (from a health food store)
- 1/8 tsp. wormwood extract (from a health food store)
- 2 tsp. Tellicherry peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- a 2″ piece of fresh ginger root
- 6 allspice berries
- 4 cloves
- 1/8 cu. dried cherries
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise, with its seeds scraped and reserved to add to jar
- 1/4 cu. raw sugar
1. Put all ingredients, except for sugar, in a large glass jar, closing it tightly.
2. Store jar in a cool, dark place for thirteen days, shaking it daily.
3. On day thirteen, filter liquid into a clean jar through a sieve, reserving solids.
4. Place filtered solids into a saucepan, along with 1/2 cu. of water. Bring to simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes, in order to extract maximum flavor.
5. Strain simmered liquid through sieve or cheesecloth, and then combine with other jar of liquid.
6. Filter liquid through a coffee filter or Aeropress to remove small particles.
7. Heat sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until it caramelizes and froths.
8. Add burnt sugar to the bitters liquid. Shake jar until burnt sugar dissolves, then let bitters cool.
9. Bottle the bitters using a funnel and or squeeze bottle.
10. Apply bitters directly to your tongue to relieve the fantods, or enjoy a dash or two in most any drink for added flavor harmony.