Bottling the bitters


I created some labels for the small dasher top bottles, and then filled them up with J. Edgar’s Aromatic Bitters. They turned out very well, in my opinion, and have a particularly peppery thing going on that I really like. One hope is that I can further concentrate the flavors next time. I’ve been using them in most drinks you’d normally dash some Angostura into.

IMG_0897

Aeropress bitters strainer


I needed to strain out all the little bits of bark, fruit, spices, and more from my bitters. There are a few ways to do this, including Buchner funnels from the chem lab, coffee filters, french presses, Brita filters and cheese cloth. I’ve tried some of those, but this is my new favorite method: the Aerobie Aeropress. Intended as a travel “espresso” machine (more like concentrated presspot coffee to be honest), it’s a handy filtration/extraction piston you can buy for around $30. Once strained, these bitters are ready for bottling.

Extracting flavor from solids for bitters

Me again, here to talk about my bitters. Here’s what happened after the two weeks of extraction. I strained the liquid into another vessel, then I put all of my solid ingredients in with some water on the stove to simmer out even more good stuff.

I then strained this brew through a fine mesh strainer, back into the liquor. This is to dilute the high-proof liquid back down a little bit.

Next up, crazy innovations in straining…